Edward “Ward” Goolsby focuses on complex commercial litigation. A summa cum laude graduate of the University of Houston Law Center, Mr. Goolsby was editor-in-chief of the Houston Law Review. He served as a judicial intern to both the Hon. Jerry Smith of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the Hon. Adele Hedges of the 14th Court of Appeals of Texas.
In January 2019, Mr. Goolsby argued before the Delaware Supreme Court on behalf of CITGO Petroleum Corporation in Sunline Commercial Carriers, Inc. v. CITGO Petroleum Corp.
His trials include a 2017 victory for an energy client suing an insurance company that refused to pay for an offshore rig’s hurricane damage. He played an instrumental role in the presentation of the evidence in a six-week trial that ended in a $41.6 million jury verdict that included $27.3 million in punitive damages and $10.9 million for bad faith. The case was one of the top 100 2017 verdicts in the nation according to the National Law Journal.
Mr. Goolsby, who graduated with highest honors from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, has won scholarships and awards for his writing and communications skills, including the Susman Godfrey L.L.P. Award for Outstanding Paper in the Area of General Litigation in 2013.
Before law school, he worked in television news, both as a reporter in Lansing, Michigan, and as a news producer in Houston. During college he won an Emmy Award for Best Student Newscast while serving as news director and anchor of the Northwestern News Report.
IN THE NEWS
AZA Scores One of the Nation’s Top 100 Verdicts of 2017
AZA Wins $1.9 Million Contract Case for CITGO in Delaware Court
AZA Wins Texas Supreme Court Patent Agent Privilege Case That Could Have National Import
AZA Patent Agent Privilege Appeal Named ‘Texas Case to Watch’ by Law360
Prime Natural Resources Wins $41.6 Million in Wellsure Insurance Dispute
Bankruptcy Trustee Dismisses Case After Expert Fails On Cross Examination
AZA Welcomes 5 New Hires
- University of Houston Law Center, JD. summa cum laude
- Ranked #5 of 253
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barons
- Editor in Chief – Houston Law Review Board 51
- Writer for ABA Media Alerts Project for Fifth Circuit cases (Spring 2013)
- Tutor for Prof. Craig Joyce’s Torts class (Fall 2012)
- Mock Trial Team Member (Fall 2011 – Spring 2013)
- American Law Institute CLE Scholarship and Leadership Award (Spring 2014)
- Susman Godfrey L.L.P. Award for Outstanding Paper in the Area of General Litigation (Spring 2013)
- LEX Certificate Awards – Highest Grade in Legal Research and Writing, Constitutional Law, Property, and Law Practice Strategies (2011 – 2012)
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, B.S. summa cum laude in Journalism and Political Science
- Josephine B. and Newton N. Minow Prize in Communications – Outstanding communication skills and an accomplished academic and campus career (Fall 2010)
- William C. Fyffe Memorial Award – Best broadcast journalism student at Northwestern (Spring 2010)
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Texas
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Board of Directors of the Houston Law Review (April 2014 – October 2017)
- Emmy Award – Anchor/News Director for the Best Student Newscast, as selected by the Chicago/Midwest Chapter of the National Academy of Arts and Sciences (Fall 2011)
- Edward B. Goolsby, Ethics of Social Media (Presentation at Annual State Bar of Texas Meeting, June 21, 2018)
- Joseph Y. Ahmad and Edward B. Goolsby as Texas Section Editors in EMPLOYMENT AT WILL: A STATE BY STATE SURVEY (Am. Bar Assoc. Section of Labor and Emp’t Law et al. eds., 2d ed. 2017 & Supp. 2018)
- Why So Serious? Taking the Word “Seriously” More Seriously in Plain Error Review of Federal Sentencing Appeals, 51 Hous. L. Rev. 1449 (2014)