P. Kevin Leyendecker
P. Kevin Leyendecker is a trial lawyer with more than 20 years of experience trying both plaintiff and defense cases to jury verdict in state and federal courts. He has obtained multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of individual clients and together with his joint venture partners, recovered over $1 billion in settlements on behalf of individuals victimized by a wide variety of consumer, fraud and personal injury matters. In addition to his trial practice, Mr. Leyendecker has handled appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th circuit and various Texas state appellate courts. He also serves as outside general counsel for energy companies located in and around Houston, Texas.
Mr. Leyendecker obtained both his law and undergraduate degrees from the University of Texas at Austin. Now that his youth sport coaching days are over, he enjoys attending his kids’ sporting events from the stands and spending time with his family and friends at his ranch in South Texas.
REPRESENTATIVE WORK/CASES INCLUDE
* In 2017, Mr. Leyendecker successfully defended a class action in which the plaintiffs sought in excess of $5 billion in statutory damages under the Texas Civil Barratry statute. Mr. Leyendecker is currently defending his clients against the individual claims of the representative plaintiffs following the Texas Supreme Court¹s denial of the petition for review of the underlying adverse class certification opinion.
* In 2016, following two jury verdicts in New York, Mr. Leyendecker and his joint venture partners recovered in excess of $45 million for 2,700 children who endured abusive treatment at dental clinics owned and operated by the Small Smiles¹ dental chain.
* In 2010, Mr. Leyendecker recovered $4.5 million for a widow and her three minor children following the wrongful death of her husband.
* In 2006, Mr. Leyendecker recovered $8.3 million for a minority shareholder in connection with an oppression claim arising out of the sale of his directional drilling business.
* In 2005, Mr. Leyendecker and his former joint venture partners recovered $450 million for several hundred former patients who underwent unnecessary invasive heart surgeries at a hospital in northern California.
* Mr. Leyendecker tried his first case before a jury in 1994. The trial resulted in an award of actual and punitive damages against a home warranty company and the verdict led to $2.75 million in settlements on behalf of several dozen homeowners.
- JD, University of Texas at Austin, 1992
- BBA, University of Texas at Austin, 1989
- State Bar of Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit