AZA’s IP group is ranked by Chambers USA 2021 as among the best Texas firms for intellectual property and patent work. Partners Demetrios Anaipakos and Amir Alavi are also individually ranked for their IP prowess by Chambers USA.
Chambers USA said AZA is a “Respected Houston-based litigation boutique with notable expertise advising clients involved in high-stakes IP disputes. Offers particular expertise handling complex patent infringement litigation, including at trial, for clients from a wide range of industries, including technology and oil and gas.”
“I have been very impressed with the firm – they are first-rate trial lawyers,” one client told Chambers USA about the AZA IP team.
“In complex patent and IP litigation, AZA is efficient and cost effective, and delivers excellent results. Its lawyers listen to their clients and understand their needs, and are superb at tailoring their services accordingly ,” wrote IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2021, which ranked AZA among the top six Texas patent litigation firms, rating it for the seventh year in a row.
“The group applies immense pressure on opposing parties in hard-fought battles and more than deserves its gold-tier ranking. Also noteworthy is the intrepidness of the team – for example, in challenging patent infringements in multiple Chinese courts, including recently on behalf of Advanced Codec Technologies against Xiaomi. The actions taken by AZA are never cavalier, but playing it safe isn’t the default position either,” IAM Patent 1000 also wrote of AZA in 2021.
The international IAM intellectual property magazine survey also named AZA partners Mr. Anaipakos and Mr. Alavi as among the top Texas patent litigators. “(They) are among the best lawyers in the entire country for patent cases – they are smart, experienced and creative, and can be trusted to get on with things without close supervision ,” the magazine stated in 2021, having previously called them “hugely respected and unflappable advocates that you can greenlight for a billion-dollar case with 100% confidence.”
IPR Intelligence Report by Patexia Inc. has named AZA the 12th best-performing law firm in the country in a study of more than 1,100 law firms active in Inter Partes Review (IPR) patent cases over the last five years.
AZA lawyers have experienced great success representing clients in IP and IP-related cases throughout the world, including Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Languages spoken by IP team members include Arabic (some), Cantonese, Farsi, French, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian and Urdu/Hindi. We regularly handle patent infringement, trademark, copyright, and trade secret cases and were ranked one of the 10 largest IP firms in Houston in 2020 and many years before by the Houston Business Journal.
Our patent lawyers have experience in numerous industry sectors including energy, technology, chemistry, biochemistry, telecom, hardware and software, and transportation. We have had success representing both plaintiffs and defendants in IP cases.
AZA’s IP stable includes experienced trial lawyers and lawyers with technical backgrounds in chemistry, electrical engineering, software and biochemistry. See the AZA IP team here. Included are partners Mr. Anaipakos, Mr. Alavi, Scott W. Clark, and Michael McBride; and Of Counsel David Warden, Brian E. Simmons, Joshua Wyde and Drew Kim. Partner Masood Anjom has extensive Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) experience. The team boasts three board certified trial lawyers and several lawyers licensed as patent attorneys before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
We also have lawyers who focus on trademark, copyright and trade secret cases. We’ve seen an uptick in trade secret cases, especially in the energy industry, and we’ve handled them successfully both for companies claiming the theft of trade secrets and for executives defending against a claim. We’ve also defeated trademark infringement claims for some clients and steadfastly protected trademarks and copyrights for other clients.
Examples of cases our lawyers have handled include:
- AZA lawyers were called in a few months before trial and developed a previously untapped lost profits claim theory for Versata. On the eve of trial, the Court dismissed everything but the lost profits model that AZA developed. With AZA’s help, Versata won the nation’s second largest patent verdict in 2011 at $391 million, according to Verdict Search. Versata Software Inc. v. SAP America Inc., et al.
- AZA beat the odds when it obtained a $15.7 million jury verdict in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in a 2015 patent infringement case. Jurors deliberated only one hour to find that Korean electronics giant Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. infringed on two Rembrandt Wireless Technologies LP patents covering Bluetooth technology. The victory received widespread press coverage, including from technology-related publications that had put the odds against AZA winning this case. Rembrandt Wireless Technologies LP v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., et al.
- AZA is overseeing potentially precedent-setting intellectual property cases in the U.S. and Germany for the owner of six families of voice coding patents that are essential to the wideband speech audio coding standard for high-definition voice in mobile telephony known as Adaptive Multi-Rate-Wideband (“AMR-WB”).
- AZA defended Mistras Group, Inc., a major nondestructive testing provider, against claims for trademark infringement and dilution brought by Sentinel Integrity Solutions Inc. Sentinel brought a claim for $8 million in damages. AZA not only won on the trademark infringement claim with the federal judge, but got the jury to agree to invalidate the trademark. Sentinel Integrity Solutions, Inc. v. Mistras Group, Inc.
What’s been said about AZA’s IP team:
- “We dominated in that courtroom 100% of the time and that is something I have never seen before. So happy with the result.” – Senior Vice President of International Technology Company
- “There are a number of well-reputed IP firms in North America. But, if you want a true partner that can deliver a viable IP strategy and litigation expertise that ensures concrete results, you need to engage AZA. Unlike other law firms, AZA is a business and IP strategic partner – they are smart, aggressive, efficient and strategic. AZA is our go-to trial firm.” – CEO of an international music and media provider
- “Your team has incredible talent and intelligence, as well as know-how and finesse in court” – Ph.D. inventor on numerous patents
- “This fearsome trial ensemble has the tenacity and firepower to prevail in even the toughest cases.” – Comment about AZA IP practice in IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2016