“This Houston trial boutique dazzles in patent infringement cases across the United States and beyond,” wrote IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2017 in ranking AZA among the best Texas patent litigation firms for the third year in a row. The international IAM intellectual property magazine survey also named AZA partners Demetrios Anaipakos, Amir Alavi as among the best Texas patent litigators. “They keep the whole case in view and get great results. Its lawyers work with complete integrity and really make you feel like part of the same team,” the magazine stated.
AZA lawyers have experienced great success representing clients in IP and IP-related cases throughout the world, including Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Languages spoken by IP team members include Arabic (some), Cantonese, Farsi, French, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Ukranian and Urdu/Hindi. We regularly handle patent infringement, trademark, copyright, and trade secret cases and were ranked one of the 10 largest IP firms in Houston in 2016 by the Houston Business Journal.
Our patent lawyers have experience in numerous industry sectors including energy, technology, chemistry, biochemistry, telecom, hardware and software, and transportation. We have had success representing both plaintiffs and defendants in IP cases.
AZA’s IP stable includes experienced trial lawyers and lawyers with technical backgrounds in chemistry, electrical engineering, software and biochemistry. See the AZA IP team here. Included are partners Mr. Anaipakos, Mr. Alavi and Steve Mitby; and Of Counsel David Warden, Scott Clark, Brian E. Simmons and Drew Kim. The team boasts three board certified trial lawyers and several lawyers licensed as patent attorneys before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. AZA lawyers Ifti Ahmed, a former engineer, and Masood Anjom, who holds an electrical engineering degree and worked in a nanotechnology lab, have extensive Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) experience.
We also have lawyers who focus on trademark, copyright and trade secret cases. We’ve seen an uptick in trade secret cases, especially in the energy industry, and we’ve handled them successfully both for companies claiming the theft of trade secrets and for executives defending against a claim. We’ve also defeated trademark infringement claims for some clients and steadfastly protected trademarks and copyrights for other clients.
Examples of cases our lawyers have handled include:
- AZA lawyers were called in a few months before trial and developed a previously untapped lost profits claim theory for Versata. On the eve of trial, the Court dismissed everything but the lost profits model that AZA developed. With AZA’s help, Versata won the nation’s second largest patent verdict in 2011 at $391 million, according to Verdict Search. Versata Software Inc. v. SAP America Inc., et al.
- AZA beat the odds when it obtained a $15.7 million jury verdict in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in a 2015 patent infringement case. Jurors deliberated only one hour to find that Korean electronics giant Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. infringed on two Rembrandt Wireless Technologies LP patents covering Bluetooth technology. The victory received widespread press coverage, including from technology-related publications that had put the odds against AZA winning this case. Rembrandt Wireless Technologies LP v. Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., et al.
- AZA is overseeing potentially precedent-setting intellectual property cases in the U.S. and Germany for the owner of six families of voice coding patents that are essential to the wideband speech audio coding standard for high-definition voice in mobile telephony known as Adaptive Multi-Rate-Wideband (“AMR-WB”).
- AZA defended Mistras Group, Inc., a major nondestructive testing provider, against claims for trademark infringement and dilution brought by Sentinel Integrity Solutions Inc. Sentinel brought a claim for $8 million in damages. AZA not only won on the trademark infringement claim with the federal judge, but got the jury to agree to invalidate the trademark. Sentinel Integrity Solutions, Inc. v. Mistras Group, Inc.
What’s been said about AZA’s IP team:
- “We dominated in that courtroom 100% of the time and that is something I have never seen before. So happy with the result.” – Senior Vice President of International Technology Company
- “Your team has incredible talent and intelligence, as well as know-how and finesse in court” – Ph.D. inventor on numerous patents
- “This fearsome trial ensemble has the tenacity and firepower to prevail in even the toughest cases.” – Comment about AZA IP practice in IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2016