Shahmeer Halepota is a commercial litigator with mediation, international arbitration, and state and federal trial experience. His trial experience includes a 16-day federal jury trial and post-trial appellate work.
Mr. Halepota’s previous clients have included various multinational corporations as well as the Republic of South Sudan. As an associate for the global law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate Meagher & Flom LLP in New York, he assisted in representing clients in ICC, UNCITRAL, and ICSID arbitrations and helped secure a $700 million dollar award for a satellite and telecommunications company against the Indian space agency in a Delhi-seated ICC arbitration concerning the repudiation of a long-term lease agreement.
His jury trial experience includes a favorable verdict for an estate in a federal trial against a U.S. bank involving fraud and RICO claims. He has also worked on a number of pro bono asylum claims, including obtaining Special Immigration Juvenile Status for three children from El Salvador.
As a law student at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Mr. Halepota was the Co-President of the Boalt Hall Student Association, a member of the moot court team, and a member of the admissions committee. While an undergrad at Emory University, he met with U.S. House subcommittee chairmen on behalf of the advisory board of a political action committee.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, J.D.
- Certificate of Specialization in International Law
- Best Oral Argument Award
- American Jurisprudence Award, Refugee Law
- Prosser Prizes for Constitutional Law; International Law; and Mediation for Litigators
- Senior Editor, Berkeley Journal of Middle Eastern & Islamic Law
- Emory University, B.A., cum laude
- Continuing Excellence Scholarship
- Delores P. Aldridge Excellence Award
- Honor Societies: Omicron Delta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha, Phi Eta Signa
- New York
- U.S. Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Southern District of New York
- U.S. Eastern District of New York