Neal A. Sarkar is a trial attorney with experience resolving a broad range of business and commercial disputes. His cases are in state and federal court, and he represents both plaintiffs and defendants. Mr. Sarkar’s practice includes contract disputes; tort claims, in particular breach of fiduciary duty and fraud; whistleblower claims; trade secret litigation; enforcing/challenging covenants not to compete; energy litigation; construction litigation/arbitration; and shareholder-rights litigation. A number of these cases involve disputes valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Mr. Sarkar’s practice also includes counseling clients in government investigations, including investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor, and the Texas Workforce Commission.
On cases in which he has served as lead counsel, Mr. Sarkar has obtained a seven-figure final judgment, secured a seven-figure settlement, and won complete victories at the summary judgment stage.
Mr. Sarkar came to AZA from Latham & Watkins LLP. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago Law School where he was a member of the Chicago International Journal of Law and represented indigent defendants charged with federal crimes in the Federal Criminal Justice Clinic. His experience also includes an internship with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois and the New Jersey Office of the Public Defender. Prior to law school, Mr. Sarkar worked as a management consultant at Fidelity Consulting Group in Boston. Mr. Sarkar earned his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College.
Mr. Sarkar was named the 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer in Texas by the Texas Young Lawyers Association and the 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer in the Greater Houston area by the Houston Young Lawyers Association. The annual awards recognize an attorney who best demonstrates professional proficiency, service to the legal profession and service to the community. Mr. Sarkar was also named on the 2018 and 2019 Texas Rising Stars lists for his excellence in business litigation. Rising Stars, a list compiled by Thomson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyers, honors leading attorneys age 40 and younger and those who have been in practice no more than 10 years. In 2017, Mr. Sarkar received the Rising Star Award from the South Asian Bar Association of North America.
IN THE NEWS
AZA Associate Neal Sarkar Wins 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas Award
AZA Associate Neal Sarkar Named 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer in Houston
Ten AZA Lawyers Earn 2019 Texas Rising Stars Accolades
Fourteen AZA Lawyers Earn 2018 Texas Rising Stars Accolades
AZA Obtains Judgment for Apache Corp. in Fraud Suit
National Oilwell Varco Summary Judgment Win Affirmed by U.S. Circuit Court
Texas Supreme Court to Decide NOV Defendant’s Right to Hear Evidence in Trade Secret Dispute
AZA Adds Legal Muscle
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD
- Chicago Journal of International Law
- Federal Criminal Justice Clinic
- Edward T. Hinton Moot Court Competition
- Dartmouth College, BA History, High Honors cum laude
- Received the Steven S. Rosenthal ‘71 Prize for the most outstanding thesis in non-western history
- Attended Tuck Business School Bridge Program
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Texas, Southern District of Texas, Eastern District of Texas, Western District of Texas and Northern District of Illinois.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association Ambassador – 2015-2017
- South Asian Bar Association – Houston Chapter, President-Elect
- American Constitution Society – Houston Lawyers’ Chapter, Chair
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations, Member
- New Leaders Council, Mentorship Chair
PUBLICATIONS/ CLE PRESENTATIONS
- “Motions for Summary Judgment: Avoiding Common Pitfalls,” Panelist, Houston Young Lawyers Association CLE Boot Camp Series, Houston, October 2018.
- “Managing Party Exclusion in Trade Secrets Litigation,” Houston Bar Association seminars, Houston, August 2017.
- “Managing Party Exclusion in Trade Secrets Litigation after In re: M-I, LLC,” Harris County Annual Judicial CLE, San Antonio, August 2017.
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2018 and 2019 Texas Rising Star honors for business litigation, a list compiled by Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business
- 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer in Texas named by the Texas Young Lawyers Association
- 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer in Greater Houston named by the Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Rising Star Award from the South Asian Bar Association of North America