Neal A. Sarkar focuses on all types of complex commercial litigation in state and federal court. He also has experience with internal and government investigations, including proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of State. He has advised clients on global commercial compliance risks associated with mergers, acquisitions and asset sales and is familiar with the FCPA, trade sanctions, and other applicable laws.
Mr. Sarkar came to AZA from Latham & Watkins LLP. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago Law School where he was a member of the Chicago International Journal of Law and represented indigent defendants charged with federal crimes in the Federal Criminal Justice Clinic. His experience also includes an internship with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois and the New Jersey Office of the Public Defender. Prior to law school, Mr. Sarkar worked as a management consultant at Fidelity Consulting Group in Boston. Mr. Sarkar earned his undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College.
Mr. Sarkar has devoted numerous hours to pro bono clients. His pro bono work has included representing prisoners in civil rights proceedings, victims of abuse in domestic violence proceedings, and recent immigrants with the citizenship process. Mr. Sarkar also volunteered abroad in Lucknow, India, where he helped handle legal issues for rural villagers.
IN THE NEWS
National Oilwell Varco Summary Judgment Win Affirmed by U.S. Circuit Court
Texas Supreme Court to Decide NOV Defendant’s Right to Hear Evidence in Trade Secret Dispute
AZA Adds Legal Muscle
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD
- Chicago Journal of International Law
- Federal Criminal Justice Clinic
- Edward T. Hinton Moot Court Competition
- Dartmouth College, BA History, High Honors cum laude
- Received the Steven S. Rosenthal ‘71 Prize for the most outstanding thesis in non-western history
- Attended Tuck Business School Bridge Program
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Texas, Southern District of Texas, Eastern District of Texas, Western District of Texas and Northern District of Illinois.
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association Ambassador – 2015-2017
- Golf Tournament Committee Member
- Judicial Polls Committee Member
- South Asian Bar Association – Houston Chapter, Treasurer
- Rising Star Award from the South Asian Bar Association of North America
- American Constitution Society – Houston Lawyers’ Chapter, President
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations, Member
PUBLICATIONS/ CLE PRESENTATIONS
- “Managing Party Exclusion in Trade Secrets Litigation,” Houston Bar Association seminars, Houston, August 2017.
- “Managing Party Exclusion in Trade Secrets Litigation after In re: M-I, LLC,” Harris County Annual Judicial CLE, San Antonio, August 2017.