AZA Earns Prestigious Chambers USA Rankings for the 10th Year in a Row
June 1, 2023
HOUSTON – Chambers USA, the independent and prestigious legal guide, has ranked AZA among the top Texas law firms for both commercial litigation and intellectual property work for the 10th time. AZA’s three name partners were individually honored as well in the 2023 results.
Firm co-founder John Zavitsanos and partner Todd Mensing are ranked for general commercial litigation. Co-founder Joe Ahmad is named as a “Star” for his labor and employment work for companies and executives, and Mr. Zavitsanos also earned a top ranking as one of the best Texas trial lawyers.
This marks the 10th year that AZA’s commercial litigation practice has earned recognition by Chambers, and it has steadily moved up in ranking in that time. It’s the third year for AZA’s IP practice to be recognized. Mr. Zavitsanos’ top band ranking as a standout Texas trial lawyer is also a bump up.
“Some lawyer rankings aren’t worth much. But Chambers USA demands details about your work and has researchers call clients and fellow lawyers to discern which firms and lawyers are the best. We are proud of our Chambers USA rankings,” Mr. Zavitsanos said.
Chambers USA, published by London-based Chambers and Partners, is considered the best international legal guide for business law firms. Ranked firms and practitioners are selected through thorough research and thousands of interviews with clients and lawyers. Selection criteria include technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness and other qualities valued by clients.
AZA clients have told Chambers USA 2023 reviewers:
- “Ahmad, Zavitsanos & Mensing are phenomenal. They’re always creative and are always looking for angles to win the case.”
- “The team make you feel that yours is the only case they are working on. Their responsiveness, attention to every detail and availability is very important.”
- “They get into cases quickly and develop trial strategies that win cases.”
The Chambers overall review said of AZA: “Ahmad, Zavitsanos & Mensing houses robust litigation specialists with a reputation as feared opponents for established national firms … It has a trial-oriented group of attorneys who are unafraid to take on the full range of high-value commercial disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants.”
Clients said of Mr. Ahmad:
- “He is the most skilled trial attorney I have ever gone up against.”
- “He is a top lawyer in town.”
Clients said of Mr. Zavitsanos:
- “John is one of the more prolific trial lawyers in Texas.”
- “I like his trial instincts and confidence. Not a lot of lawyers out there try cases as frequently as he does, and it shows. John loves being in the courtroom.”
Clients said of Mr. Mensing:
- “Todd is both energetic and focused. He quickly and efficiently drives litigation to a great conclusion for his clients.”
- “Todd is a responsive, sophisticated and skilled litigator who is an asset to any trial team.”
AZA, or Ahmad, Zavitsanos & Mensing, is a Houston-based law firm that is home to true courtroom lawyers with a formidable track record in complex commercial litigation, including energy, healthcare, intellectual property, and business dispute cases. AZA is recognized by Chambers USA 2023 as among the best in Texas in commercial law and intellectual property; has been listed by U.S. News – Best Lawyers’ Best Law Firms as one of the country’s best commercial litigation firms for 11 years running; has been named Litigation Department of the Year by Texas Lawyer three times, including for 2021; and was previously dubbed a Texas Powerhouse law firm by Law360.