Matthew Caldwell is a commercial litigator with experience advising clients on regulatory and compliance matters, especially involving tax and accounting questions. Before his legal career, he worked for major insurance companies where he oversaw underwriting compliance and later worked in the Special Investigations Unit, where he investigated suspicious insurance claims. While working, he earned an undergraduate degree in accounting.
Most recently, Mr. Caldwell worked at alliantgroup LP, a consulting firm that advises businesses on state and federal tax laws. In that position, he analyzed business operations and tax liabilities to ensure clients were in compliance with federal regulations. Additionally, he represented clients in very large, contentious audits undertaken by the Internal Revenue Service.
A graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, he was an associate at Clark Hill PLC in Detroit where he handled product liability litigation and employment investigations. As a law school student, he worked for the Wayne County Prosecutor, prosecuting felony drug crimes and handling all aspects of trial by himself.
Mr. Caldwell also served in the United States Marine Corps, where he was the recipient of several commendations and awards.
- University of Michigan Law School, JD
- Three-year recipient of Dean’s Merit Scholarship; highest grade in Negotiating Entrepreneurial Issues, Gun Control, and Negotiation
- Associate Editor of the Michigan Journal of Private Equity and Venture Capital Law (now the Michigan Business and Entrepreneurial Law Review)
- Founder and President of the MLaw Marksmanship Club
- Member of: Entrepreneurial Law Association, MLaw Student Veterans Association, and Older Wiser Law Students organization.
- Western Governors University in Salt Lake City, Utah, BS, Accounting, 2012
- Worked 50+ hours per week while earning degree
Bar Admissions and Certificates
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Tax Court
- Associate Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (Inactive)